Sunday, May 13, 2018

Fortress Siege Game 2 - Harlequins vs Ultramarines

Mission - Maelstrom of War: Deadlock, Eternal War: ETC Resupply Drop
Deployment type: Vanguard Strike
Point Limit: 2000
Lists - from team "Vomiting Bloodsnails" 




The Deployment:
This time we are facing yet another castle army with rerolls to hell and back. I spread out the objectives as much as I could to deny my opponent maelstrom point. He only had 2 squads of scouts that would become priority targets for me to eliminate early on, as a turn 1 charge against Guilliman's gunline was not achievable. Same strategy as before - Archon hiding inside a LOS-blocking building, with the rest of the army having a balanced deployment. Raider uses Screaming Jets and is in deepstrike again. My opponent bunkers down most of his army in a ruin together with Guilliman and infiltrates the scouts in the middle ruin of the table to grab the 2 objectives.


Harlequins turn 1:
I advance one Skyweaver and the Voidweaver to capture far-off objectives. The rest of the army clumps up in the middle to deal with the scouts. After shooting and charges the 2 squads of scouts die. The Wraithknight yet again is set up as a big and juicy target for all those rerolling lascannon shots.



Ultramarines turn 1:

With his scouts now dead my opponent goes all-in on the plan to table me. Wraithknight is completely shot to pieces on the first turn and the bikes get a good pounding as well. Vehicles remain mostly untouched.



Harlequins turn 2:
Solitaire disembarks and blitzes to eliminate the marines on the ground floor. All my other vehicles come in and with open topped shoot the Centurion Devastators, which were the meat & potatoes of his army. Having 2+ in cover proved a tough nut to crack even for fusion pistols, but with the help of the raider only one centurion was left. Scoring maelstrom objectives with the Voidweaver and Archon.


Ultramarines turn 2:
The Raider gets shot and damaged and my other vehicles start suffering damage from the few remaining troops my opponent still has. Guilliman decides to join the party and start murdering things with the Emperor's sword. Takes out an entire weaver and the Troupe inside single-handedly.

Harlequins turn 3:
Lascannon predator is melted by the fusion pistols. Troupe and solitaire start working on the support characters left at the bottom of the building, unsuccessfully mind you - that primaris Ancient, Librarian and Apothecary proved redoubtable foes. The fact that he cast Null Zone on his first turn was the reason I couldn't go ham on them with the solitaire before and now my rolls were failing me horribly.

Ultramarines turn 3:
Guilliman is a one-man army and starts destroying vehicles, troupes, characters, the Solitaire all on his own. I am left with barely anything I dedicated to destroying his fortified position. The raider is left crippled, but I am still leading on maelstrom.

Harlequins turn 4:


As much as I hate the idea, I'm starting to sacrificial-pawn units to Guilliman while spreading out the vehicles as much as I can to get out of the Primarch's range. I'm still ahead on maelstrom points but my opponent had a lucky draw and wasn't in a massive disadvantage as in my last game. Archon has to crawl out of cover to get a maelstrom objective.

Ultramarines turn 4:
The Ultramarine fortified position is now barren, but Guilliman managed to murder all the kabalites and destroy another Starweaver just by shooting it. At this point my opponent decides to make a beeline towards my Archon to get Slay the Warlord. He knew I couldn't table him with what I still had so this was his chance to get some points.

Conclusion:
The final turns were just more of the same. Guilliman going janitor on my flyers while running to get to my Archon. The "epic" duel from the final turn left the"Avenging Bean-counter" empty-handed because despite receiving 2 mortal wounds from The Emperor's Sword, my Archon's shadow-field deflected every regular blow. The game ended 14-6 for the Harlequins. It was an entertaining, beer-fueled game, and in fact the ONLY game in the entire tournament where my opponent scored points and wasn't tabled. I think that says something about the "punch" my list had, but still - made the most of what I had and pulled out a win for my team.


No comments:

Post a Comment