Sunday, May 13, 2018

Fortress Siege Game 3 - Harlequins vs Tyranids





Mission - Maelstrom of War: Tactical Escalation, Eternal War: Scorched Earth
Deployment type: Dawn of War
Point Limit: 2000
Lists - from team  "Arata-mi Tatele"(do we even need a translation for this?) 

Deployment: 
Holy smokes this was going to be one tough nut to crack. This was the first game I was chosen as a defender and the opposing team threw a swarm of tyranids with some really nasty heavy support in the form of Carnifexes and flying Hive Tyrants my way. Thankfully there would be no turn 1 tyrant drop near my deployment thanks to the FAQ, but the fact that he had so many things in deepstrike made it very difficult for me to deploy favorably with such a small number of drops. I spread out as best I could and hoped for the best.


Tyranids turn 1:


 I didn't even blink properly and the swarm was upon me. Most of the Genestealers moved up with their 3d6 advance move together with the Broodlord and the Venomthropes. The three tyrants came down from deepstrike in his deployment zone to completely take over one side of the table, despite not being in range to shoot anything turn 1. My bikes took a heavy beating turn 1 from the swarm of genestealers, with only 2 staying alive, one barely limping on one wound. Given the absolute ridiculous number of attacks I should count myself lucky. The heavy venom canons from the Carnifexes proved to be my bane though, already removing half the HP off of a Starweaver and wounding the Wraithknight.

Harlequins turn 1:
Okay, counter-punch time. I had to completely abandon my left side of the table, except the brave Archon in the ruins, because those 3 Hive Tyrants would ruin everything's day the following turn. I fell back with the jetbikes, dropped the raider in my deployment zone and moved forward on my right side with my entire army. I managed to inflict a good amount of damage on the two genestealer blobs but the Broodlord rolled well and survived. My plan was to take control of the mid-right side of the table and limit my opponent's field of action to the right side as much as possible. Leaving the Archon and Voidweaver there as targets for slay the warlord and an easy killpoint/objective.


Tyranids turn 2:
The Swarm was thinned but the big brutes were far from out of firepower. Carnifexes killed 1 Starweaver and made a number on the Wraithknight, degrading him. Rippers drop on my backline objective and the three Tyrants take the bait and murder the Voidweaver mercilessly, still staying on the right side of the table. The brave Solitaire who opened the path for the rest of my army to the Broodlord dies to its huge claws - not even its high invuln save helped against the large number of multi-damage attacks. The Archon is still alive behind LOS-blocking terrain.

Harlequins turn 2:
The Broodlord was still alive and I had to deal with all the Carnifexes else I would be shot to pieces next turn. Enhanced senses and the 3 damage venom canon is brutal against my army, possibly even more so than a 1d6 weapon damage. Fusion fails to kill the leftmost carnifex, me rolling abysmally on the hit roll. The broodlord dies but I have an exposed troupe master now, ready to eat a smattering of brainleech worms from the middle Carnifex. Wraithknight multi-charges the squad of 2 carnifexes close to the Neurothrope and manages to tie them up. Disaster strikes when in a vain attempt to take the last wound off the left Carni with a vehicle charge my vehicle is destroyed by its gigantic claws, leaving the Troupe and Master to fend for themselves. I spread out as much as possible to cap objectives.


Tyranids turn 3:
Flyrants continue their domination of the right side. Smites are thrown, hit the Wraithknight and the Archon. The drukhari leader is slain on objective 2, which the tyranids now gain. The carnifex murders the troupe in the ruins. Hero Skyweaver jetbike on 1 wounds still holds objective 5. I have no more units I can sacrifice to appease the tyrants, so I'm bracing for the next turn.



Harlequins turn 3:
I think I lost track of the turns here with the pictures since I was a bit too invested in the game at this point. Needless to say at this point I'm struggling to kill the Carnifexes who are so lucky they keep surviving on one wound. The fact that the Carnies are tied in combat makes them less effective but still scary. Wraithknight is doing a decent job at herding them. The remainder of the small swarm is ousted. Now it's only the big boys on the field.  Cegorach save us!



Tyranids turn 4:
Flyrants swoop in and attack the raider. Lightning fast reflexes saves the day, together with some godly invul rolls it only takes 4 wounds. Nothing much else dies this turn.



Conclusion:
There were two more turns in this game and honestly it was a race against the clock. If the game would have prolonged itself even more I would have died to the Flyrants. Wraithknight manages to kill one. The Flyrants kill my troupe and a tug-of-war starts for the objective previously held by it. Sheer speed allowed me to grab objectives for both Eternal War and Maelstrom but it was a butt-clenching race to the end. On the final turn I was hoping to secure a lead with Slay the Warlord but the Neurothrope survived with some good saves of its own. Final Score 11-9 for the Tyranids. Well played to the hive-mind on this one. Tyrants are awfully scary despite the nerf in the FAQ, expect to still see 3 of them around in Tyranid lists.








No comments:

Post a Comment